Oil Lamps W/ Mick Morgan

We had the opportunity of working with Mick Morgan as a class. He gave us a primitive clay to work with. This was a heavily grogged earthenware clay that had tiny bits of glittery mica worked into the clay body. We had an hour to work with this clay to make these very tiny oil lamps. once everyone had finished the building process the little lamps were dried quickly using the aid of a heat gun. Some laps showed signs of cracking but luckily there was no major damage by doing this. We used the heat gun so that it was possible for us to put our lamps in the pit fire that afternoon. They were placed in a wood firing drum outside and were fired over night. There was sawdust and copper carbonate to hopefully add different colours to the surface of our lamps. I like the effect this gave to the surface of our lamps as they wouldn’t look out of place in a museum of prehistoric findings.

The left picture is showing the fire burning away at the copper carbonate and the picture on the right is the final outcome. I really enjoyed this little project as love doing raw firings and I also like building small delicate pieces. Its something I have done in the past and am confident at doing. I also love the always unpredictable outcomes of doing these sorts of firings.

Field 2: Shadow play/Illuination

for our second week of field we started of by working with shadows. We were given an old  projector for each small group and had a variety of objects that we had to place on said projector. The shadow cast by these objects and projected onto the wall was then traced over onto a piece of paper and that would be our first plan to set up the next step.

Using the abstract shadow drawings we next had to create a cardboard relief. Trying to recreate the shadows textures and shaped it was best to make the cardboard relief as 3D as possible. I thought that according to the shadows we made the drawing looked quite beachy/ very neutral so we attempted to make the cardboard relief as organic as possible. This is what my group came up with;

IMG_0399 (1)

The next part to this project was to then recreate this cardboard relief into an actual 3D piece. As a group we were able to make a larger more eye grabbing representation of the cardboard piece using clay. We took the parts from the relief that were most relevant to the original shadow drawing and put them together so that each piece we made, shadow, cardboard and clay, were all representative of each other. our final outcome was this clay sculpture;

IMG_0404

I found that this weeks project was quite difficult. I was most comfortable making the clay sculpture because it was familiar to me as a ceramic student but I found it rather difficult to bring all three pieces of work together in a way that would make sense. After it all this week was not my favourite.

 

 

Field 1: Pin hole camera

During the field projects the entire art department courses were split up into four large groups and within in those groups had for tasks to work on each week. In my first week of field we were split up into small groups of four and given the task of making our own pinhole cameras. on day one we had to plan out the design of our simple camera and hope that it would take a 360º photo. We had planned to make it in a way that every person in our group could contribute making in a way used in each individuals subject.

The structure of our box was made by Nicole Garner who is on the maker course. She was able to cut out the sides, top and base for the box out of wood using the laser cutter which was very useful as it could cut the edges accurately and very smoothly so left the box with a professional finish. We then used the hot glue gun to join the wood panels together there for leaving us with a box. we then sealed up any gaps around the edges where light could seep through using duct tape. We finished off the box with matt black spray paint so when the lid was sealed on the box would be completely unreflective on the inside in order for any pictures taken to come out as clear as possible.

 

We cut six different pinhole slots on each side hoping that there would be multiple images captured on each sheet of photo paper. The photo paper sat on a clay cylinder thrown by Sassie Raw that was placed in the middle of our box. Sadly our idea didn’t quite work out and every time we tried to take a photo the box was too over exposed so we had to take many tries to get one clear(ish) photo. Jack Easton having experience in photography was able to develop the pictures  taken by our camera.

Even though our group was unable to get a good standard final photo from this small challenge it was still interesting to work in a group and see what its like working with the skill sets from other courses.